Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting Burmese-style with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I closed my eyes and immediately perceived my visual field "vibrating" at about five or six times per second. I allowed my awareness to transition to my skin, which was vibrating too, and the vibrations increased in speed to maybe ten times per second. Concentration was very diffuse, but slowly it sharpened, and "formations" began to be perceived. I stayed at this point for most of the meditation. There was a predominant sense that there was much more to the formations than I was perceiving - that my concentration was not finely attuned enough to perceive them fully. Then there was a *blip* of no thought/experience ("Fruition") that, when "I" was back and observing, left a nice little wave of physical pleasure in its wake. As that faded, I found my awareness was diffuse again, and discursive thought was in greater evidence. This slowly gave way to heightened concentration and "formations" began to become evident again as the session ended.


Observations: I was pretty tired during this session - actually began to nod-off a time or two. I've decided to let go of the whole where am I on the Progress of Insight trip and just sit and observe things arise and pass and look for the Three Characteristics in them, and that's been a nice break. I've got to admit, since Wednesday I've felt more present and at ease than has previously been my default mode - I feel like my baseline level of fundamental suffering has gone way, way down (although I still do have a baseline) and like a filter is no longer "in use" when I experience things.

No comments:

Post a Comment