Friday, March 22, 2013

Time: 35 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting Burmese-style with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I closed my eyes and immediately perceived my visual field "vibrating" at about five or six times per second. In a few second my awareness naturally shifted to my skin, and the vibrations sped up to ten or twelve times per second. Concentration was diffuse, there was some physical discomfort, and my thoughts were snarly and very self-critical. Within a few minutes, concentration sharpened, physical discomfort was gone, and thoughts became shorter, neither pleasant nor unpleasant, and more readily observable as sense-objects. There was a subtle space-out moment of non-experience, then *bang*, I was back to diffuse concentration, pain, and swirling, difficult-to-perceive-as-sense-objects thoughts. Then: sharpened concentration, and a repetition of the former cycle up to another space-out moment. This whole little process repeated itself maybe a dozen times or so during this session. 


Observations: This is seeming to me like "Fruition territory" to me because these little cycles seem to run from
"ñanas 5-11" with a "blip" ("ñanas 12-16") at the end. I've "posted on the DhO about it" and hope to skype with one of the yogis there at some point today to get his/her (I have no idea) take on what's going on. All I can say at this point is that things are different than they were before my mediation session on Wednesday: sense-input is more immediate and visceral, everything is an object, there is less idea of what things are "supposed" to be like, and there is less inclination to think along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment