Thursday, August 29, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  Awareness settled on touch-sense. Touch-sensations arose and passed at an increasing rate from perhaps 8 times per second up to around 16 times per second. The happened over the course of about 30 seconds. Awareness shifted to sight-sense; these sensations were also arising and passing at around 16 times per second. Concentration and equanimity were high. I reminded myself of what the Three Characteristics are and that if it is observable, it isn't me. I observed sensations arise and pass. I fell into a little story. When I popped out concentration and equanimity were very high. Mind-sensations were objects just like physical sensations. The process of assigning a sense of self to sensations was obvious. The physical sensations that usually (immediately) precede "strong" mind-sensations like anger and sadness arose and passed and were clearly just physical sensations. The mind did not assign a mind-sensation to them like anger or sadness, awareness just recognized that, for example, the tension and heat in my upper chest and tightening of the temple-muscles that usually precedes an "anger-sensation" in the mind was arising, and then observed it pass. That was all. A few light shows. Some body-twisting. Then a story. Then more
physical sensations that usually precede "strong" mind-sensations. More observation of them arising and passing. Lather, rinse, repeat. End of session.


Observations: Coolio, Yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment