Monday, August 12, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness settled on touch-sense and sound-sense. Sensations at both sense-doors flickered in and out of existence at a rate of about twelve times per second. Sensations at the mind door presented just any other sensation would at its applicable sense door.
Concentration and equanimity were high. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics are and that sensations will do their thing without involvement by a "me". After a bit I fell into a story; I popped out concentration and equanimity had both increased and sensations were flickering faster than before. Sensations were clearly visible as either existing or not existing. Multiple sense-doors were stimulated simultaneously - I believe these were "formations". Then *blip* - consciousness was gone for a moment. There were all sorts of visuals. A brief period of lowered concentration and equanimity. Some disturbing mind objects. Then concentration and equanimity were high again. Sensations were very clearly and distinctly discernible as existing or not. The periods of non-existence held a gravity all their own. Then it was as if I fell into one. *Blip* consciousness was gone. Lather, rinse, repeat about four or five times.


Observations: This weekend was a little too chaotic for me to blog about my meditation sessions, although (mercifully) I was able to get the sessions themselves into chaos. They've all pretty much mirrored the above experience, just less intense. And for the past three days or so the top of my head and the area between my eyes have tingled in a way I associate with some of my experiences with the Pure Land Jhanas. So it's been an interest past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment