Thursday, August 1, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness oscillated between touch-sense and sight-sense. I don't recall the speed that sensations flickered in and out of existence. Concentration and equanimity were high. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics are and to let go of any sense or idea of "doing" the meditation. Thoughts and emotions were observable as objects. I fell into a story. When I popped out, concentration was still high, but equanimity had decreased a little. Sensations flickered in and out of existence at fourteen or fifteen times per second. The arbitrary assignment of a "me" to sense-objects was clear and uncomfortable. Throughout the session, discursive thought would completely stop, then slowly get going again, then stop completely, then slowly get going again, etc. Several times, for prolonged periods, the felt sense of self did not exist, there was simply consciousness/organ/object "contact", arising and passing, many times per second. Sensations from multiple sense-doors presented simultaneously in each moment. There were a few sheet-lightning-like light shows behind my eye lids "late" in the session. When the bell rang, although 45 minutes had passed, but it felt like only three or four.


Observations: This session had a low level feeling-tone of irritating/uncomfortable to it. Unpleasant emotions, urges, and subtle mind-objects of all sorts seemed particularly "visible" during this session. Effort and the assignment of "self" to sensations were particularly uncomfortable. Anyway . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment