Sunday, August 4, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness settled on touch-sense. Touch-sensations flickered in and out of existence at a rate of about five or six times per second. The transition from sensation, to not sensation, to next sensation, to not sensation, etc was a little rough and "chunky".
Thoughts and emotions were observable as objects. Concentration and equanimity were high. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics are and that sensations will do their thing without involvement by "me".  I fell into a brief story and when I popped out of it, sensations were flickering in and out of existence at rate of about sixteen times per second or so. The chunky texture of the flickering process was gone; it was now smooth. Sense-data from multiple sense-doors presented simultaneously in each "flicker". The process of assigning "self-hood" to objects-organ-consciousness "contacts" was apparent, and seemed tragically misguided. There seemed to be "a lot" of this sort of assigning this session - I don't know if this is because that is actually the case, or I was just observing what has always been the case, but has not been apparent to me. Several times there was "sheet lightening" behind my eyelids. A few times discursive thought stopped, and slowly rebooted. This meditation seemed to last, from the inside, about as long as it lasted "from the outside" (to my stop watch).

Observations: N/A.

No comments:

Post a Comment