Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness settled on touch-sense. Touch-sensations flickered in and out of existence at a rate of about twelve times per second. Mind-objects presented as if any of the other ("traditional") five sense-objects. Concentration and equanimity were moderate to high. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics and that sensations will do their thing without involvement by a "me". There was a long period of observing object/organ/consciousness "contacts" flicker in and out of existence. There was no "self" being "told" that it was not this or that contact. There was no "self" being "held in abeyance" while "I" meditated. There was just contact, nothingness; contact, nothingness. Mind was reminded again and again that the contact wasn't some "self", and neither was mind; it was just a contact.
Then a brief story; when it was done, flickering was going at about twenty-five times per second. Realization: what I call this body is mostly just tactile and sight data, with a little bit of taste and smell thrown in; its not like it isn't "body", but what body IS is not what this mind thought it was. All of the foregoing was so low effort compared to past meditations. The last third or so energy flagged relative the first two thirds, but still lots of concentration and equanimity. Proprioceptive anomalies and tingling in the head and face indicated some of the upper jhannas were out there to be solidified, "this" just continued doing vipassana. The non-euphoric"meat-and-potatos-brand of clarity" I noted last session was in major evidence this go 'round, and then some. It is still in evidence now.


Observations: N/A.

No comments:

Post a Comment