Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Untitled

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and reminded myself to watch for a "felt sense of the observer" and to see which of the Five Aggregates was being assigned this sense, and then see the Three Characteristic's in that aggregate. I  began by observing touch-sensations flickering in and out of existence at about six to eight times per second. Strength of concentration and equanimity were both high. I fell into a little story and popped back. A touch-sensation would occur, I'd recognize it, I'd have a feeling about it, a thought about the preceding, and then an urge to pay attention to touch-sensations, then I'd be back at square-one. Somewhere in that chain I'd "find" the felt-sense-of-the-observer. There were lots of little stories I'd fall into. But I always popped back.
A lot of the higher jhanas were in the background of this session (infinite space and infinite consciousness for sure). I didn't endeavor to stabilize them, and they stopped presenting after a bit. I started to run out of juice about 80% of the way through this session.      


Observations: I'm still trying to get a grip on the Five Aggregates and how they work - I need to do some more research. This practice is grueling concentration-wise - but the insights into the selfing process are interesting and feel as though they're relevant. Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment