Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness settled on touch-sense. Sensations flickered in and out of existence at a rate of about six times per second. Concentration and equanimity were moderate. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics are. Thoughts were observable as objects. I fell into a story. When I popped out, concentration and equanimity were increased slightly and the flickering of sensations was more rapid (maybe ten times per second). The arbitrary assignment of "self-hood" to sense-objects was apparent. I let go of "doing" the meditation, and simply allowed sensations to do their thing. There was a mental (almost physical) "clunk" as discursive thought stopped completely. Sensations arose, did their thing, and passed. I dozed-off briefly a few times. There was some physical discomfort and aversion present. Unlike most sessions recently, this one did not fly by. 


Observations: As I write this, discursive thought is slowly booting-up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment