Monday, July 29, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  I closed my eyes and awareness settled on touch-sense. Sensations flickered in and out of existence at a rate of about twelve times per second. Concentration and equanimity were very high. I reminded myself what the Three Characteristics are. Tingling sensations in my forehead told me some of the Pure Land Jhanas were out there should I choose to solidify them. I stuck with seeing Three Characteristics in each sensation. Mind-objects were observable as objects. I fell into a story. When I popped out, concentration and equanimity were even more intense. The arbitrary assignment of "self-hood" to sense-objects was apparent. Then I decided to let go: to stop seeing, just let seeing see; to stop hearing, to just let hearing hear - I let go of concentrating, and just let observing observe; I let go of "doing" and just allowed all sensations do what they do without "me": present. The flickering of sensations was very fast and fine. The arbitrary assignment of "self-hood" pretty much stopped. Sensations from multiple sense-doors presented in each moment. The demarcation between sensation and no-sensation in each "flickering" was very clear. A few times, experience seemed to skip a beat, with no memory of the interval. The session ended. Time had flown by.

 
Observations: I felt like I was coming up out of deep water after this session. I haven't blogged about my session over the last few days because I've been busy unpacking after the move, but they've all been more or less like this one (although this one evinced even higher than normal concentration and equanimity, when have been pretty much super-high before this session reset my idea of "high"). Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment