Thursday, May 30, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a chair with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I closed my eyes and observed touch-sensations flickering in and out of existence at about six times per second. Strength of concentration was low and the field of awareness was shallow. Within a few moments I was in a story. I popped back out and concentration was increased to moderate. I reminded myself to focus on the Three Characteristics in each sensation. Thoughts, feelings, observation-itself, all were observable as objects, flickering in and out of existence. Impermanence came on strong. I slipped into stories a few times and the foregoing cycle repeated. Then I popped out of a story and there was a sort of *thunk* like shifting gears in a car, and the flickering of sensations got a lot faster. Faster than I can really describe. Awareness would ebb and flow, but concentration was much higher than when the session began, and the Three Characteristics were each there in each sensation - although not observable by me simultaneously. The sensations of touch, observation-itself, and sight really seemed to be flickering at the same rate. There were feelings of disgust with my body, my attitude, my life arising and passing. Aversion to meditation arose. Pain in (literally) my ass (from the chair) arose. And they passed too. Then ding-ding! The session was over


Observations: This session had a different feel to it than the last few I've experienced. I credit this post on the DhO, which I read yesterday and had "in mind" today, as to why.

No comments:

Post a Comment