Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting Burmese-style with my hands on my knees.


Experience: I closed my eyes and observed visual sensations flickering in and out of existence at about four times per second. Awareness shifted from visual sensations to the act of observing the visual sensations, which observing was itself simply a sensation to be observed as it flickered in and out of existence. Concentration was diffuse. I observed the sensation of fear arise, do its thing, and disappear; I observed the awareness of fear arise, do its thing, and disappear. This process continued on and on with different things: aversion, anxiety, dissatisfaction, sound, pain, and on and on. I noticed that the background would shift from diffuse concentration and emotional instability, to concentration and emotional calm, to a mental anomaly, to bodily bliss, to flickering lights, and back to diffuse concentration and emotional instability. This background cycle repeated more times than I could count, but my practice remained the same: simply observing whatever sensations presented as they flickered in and out of existence, including observing the sensation of observing.


Observations: N/A.

No comments:

Post a Comment