Saturday, January 7, 2012

Time: 60 minutes

Situation: In a quiet room with my eyes closed, 1/4 lotus with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I settled my attention on the area just inside my nostrils and observed the breath pass to and fro across that area paying special attention to the interplay between the sensation and my mental impression of that sensation. Shortly, I experienced a sensation of pressure build between my eyebrows, but instead of shifting my attention to that sensation as I usually do, I maintained my attention on the sensation/impression of the breath - the interplay became very fine (rapid vibrations - perhaps four to ten per second).

At some point things got a little discordant. It was as if multiple sense-doors were being accessed at the same time during each vibration and it became very difficult to discern the beginning, middle, and end of each vibration as well as the new "multiple personality" of the vibrations. I tried to "open up" to this experience and allow myself to observe these new, more three dimensional vibrations, but they were still extremely rapid and fine and I found myself feeling as if I couldn't "fully experience" one before it was gone and a new one had arisen.

I also found myself noticing a sort of third-player in all of this. Until now I have observed the interplay between sensation and mental impression of that sensation without really experiencing a "Watcher" doing the observing. During this session the sense of a Watcher was palpable. As with last session, this one really seemed to go quickly.

Observations: Despite how fast this session seemed to go by, it was hard work. I'm not used to these new mutli-sense vibrations and, combined with the Watcher-factor, the experience was, despite a very fine and smooth experiential quality, a little jarring and difficult keep track of.

No comments:

Post a Comment