Monday, January 2, 2012

Time: 20 minutes

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting on the couch with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I centered my attention on my breath. Within a few minutes, I experienced a sensation of pressure between my eyes, and I allowed my attention to shift to that sensation. I watched it pulse rapidly and its borders grow and shift. I was distracted often by stories and tape-loops - after a while I would simply note them with a mental *beep* label to indicate that my attention had drifted, then refocus my attention on the sensation between my eyes. This became my practice for this session.

Observations: Lots of difficulty maintaining focus. Lots of desire to "progress" and lots of frustration with the stability of my concentration and dearth of calm. My wife says I've been grouchy lately too - she's right. I'm often catching myself playing negative stories and tape loops in my head throughout the day - when that happens I've been trying to get back to the breath and focus on the positive. This is life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment