Thursday, January 12, 2012

Time: 40 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, half lotus with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I closed my eyes and was instantly aware of my perceptual field vibrating in and out of existence at perhaps 10 times per second - they were so fine they were like TV snow. I became aware of a "tightness" in my consciousness that was caused by me trying to "do" the meditation instead of allowing the vibrations to simply present at the sense-doors. I began to give up, over and over, and allowed the vibrations to do their thing without effort or interference from me. When I did this the "tightness" went away. I realized that the Third Characteristic (unsatisfactoriness) was presenting strong - I relaxed and allowed this to happen or not happen; it continued to present, and the session was further characterized by lots more formations than in previous sessions as well as the same deep, cool tranquility I have been experiencing lately.

Observations: This was the first time I've been able to really let go and allow my sense-doors to register phenomena without me trying to control the process. I don't think its a coincidence that this was the first time one of the Three Characteristics has really begun to present during the my experience of the 11th Stage of Insight. I'm planning on continuing to practice in this way - we'll see what happens. Oh, and by the way - the sensation of really, truly giving up control over the observational process was incredibly relaxing and pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment