Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, Burmese-style with my hands on my knees.

Experience: I closed my eyes and was instantly aware of my perceptual-field vibrating rapidly. At first the vibrations were very fine and then later in the practice they became like TV snow. There were some mild light-shows behind my eyelids about 20 minutes in. My focus was pretty solidly on my sense-doors, although two or three times it wondered. There were a handful of times that multiple sense-doors seemed to be vibrating at once and such that it was difficult to differentiate which one was which. This session was characterized by a back and forth between equanimity and a diffuse sadness that the equanimity was impermanent and would not satisfy. I investigated this sadness and found that it too vibrated and had the Three Characteristics.

Observations: This session was a little tiring and a little liberating. It was useful to be able to concentrate a little more than I've been able to lately, and in that sense it was a refreshing session. But it was also pretty tiring in that a lot of it seemed to involve confronting my VERY PERVASIVE HABIT of clinging to pleasant phenomena and rejecting unpleasant ones. I'll keep on trucking and try to take the advice I've been given on DhO to "have fun" with equanimity.

No comments:

Post a Comment