Sunday, September 22, 2013

Time: 45 minutes.

Situation: A quiet room with my eyes closed, sitting in a couch with my hands on my knees.

Experience:  Awareness settled on touch-sense. Touch-sensations arose and passed at a rate of about 6/second. Concentration and equanimity were both pretty low. I reminded myself of what the Three Characteristics are and to observe the arbitrary labeling of sensations as "self". Awareness was subsumed by a series of stories. Sensations had a rough quality to them. Intense flickering white light. Concentration was much more refined immediately. Equanimity was still low - but there was a new "flavor" to the low equanimity; whereas before it was more of a "Jeez, these sensations feel rough!" now it was more of a "I feel really emotionally raw" sort of flavor. Physical discomfort, pain, and fear arose, then faded into the background; they were still there, and happening, and "unpleasant" but their immediacy was gone. They were just occurring, just sensations, like any others. There was still and "rough" quality to experience, but it was less disconcerting for some reason. This very realization seemed to refine experience even further. The process of labeling sensations as "me" was apparent. Time appeared to pass. The session ended, which was a little sad, but oh well.

 
Observations:  N/A.

No comments:

Post a Comment